Welcome to the Economics Department at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario. To learn more about the history of our department, please click here
News and Events
- The C.D. Howe Institute published Professor William Scarth's report titled "User Discretion Advised: Fiscal Consolidation and the Recovery" which urges stimulus spending.
- Professor William Scarth's report issued by the C.D. Howe Institute urging stimulus spending.
- Canadian Macroeconomics Study Group Annual Conference November 7 & 8, 2014
- Please see the poster linked here for information regarding the Departmental Session for all Economics TAs.
- Economics student Carter Williams represented the class of 2014 as
valedictorian on June 13 at the Faculty of Social Sciences convocation. McMaster Daily News also reported on the words of wisdom shared by this year's valedictorians.
- The McMaster Economics Society have updated their mission statement with the help of its new executive members for the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Collaborative Learning versus Traditional Tutorials in Large Classrooms:
During the 2012/2013 academic year, tutorials were offered in Introductory Macroeconomics
(Econ 1BB3) for the first time in twenty years. As part of a research project, data was collected to study
the impact of the tutorials on student performance in the course. This research study will examine
overall rates of participation in tutorials and overall performance. No individual student will be
identifiable and the researchers will not know who participated in the study and who did not. This study
has been approved by the McMaster Research Ethics Board, and also complies with the McMaster FIPPA
policy on the collection of personal information. We understand that some students may not wish to
participate in such a research project. If you do not want your course records included in the project or
if you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
To see the full letter of information, please click here.
- Professor Byron Spencer was selected (along with Michael Wolfson, the former Assistant Chief Statistician at Statistics Canada) as the 2013 winner of the Mike McCacken Award for Economic Statistics, which recognizes both theoretical and applied contributions to the development and use of the official economic statistics in Canada
- The Department of Economics is pleased to offer the following Spring/Summer Economics Undergraduate Courses.
- If you have the prerequisites for a course but it is full on SOLAR, please fill out a SPACE form and we will respond prior to the start of term.
For more information, click here
Undergraduate (Graduate) Students write to:
School of Graduate Studies
Avenue to Learn